According to Idaho State Code 34-622, The Election of County Coroners – Qualifications are:
- At the general election, 1986, and every four (4) years thereafter, a coroner shall be elected in every county.
- No person shall be elected to the office of coroner unless he has attained the age of twenty-one (21) years at the time of his election, is a citizen of the United States and shall have resided within the county one (1) year next preceding his election.
- Each candidate shall file his declaration of candidacy with the county clerk.
- Each candidate who files a declaration of candidacy shall at the same time pay a filing fee of forty dollars ($40.00) which shall be deposited in the county treasury.
- All newly elected or appointed County Coroners shall attend a coroner’s school within one (1) year of taking office. Such school shall be sponsored or endorsed by the Idaho state association of county coroners.
In addition, after January 1, 2010, each county coroner shall complete twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education on a biennial calendar basis. The Idaho State Association of County Coroners shall either sponsor or provide courses pursuant to this section and monitor this requirement.