Transfer Station


Transfer Station FAQs 

What can I take to the Transfer Station for recycling? Any gently used items that are in good working condition may be left at the ClearMart Store. The transfer station will accept refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, microwaves, television sets, computer processors, and water heaters. There is no charge to residents of Clearwater County. These items are also accepted at the Timberline Container Site. The Clearwater County Transfer Station and Timberline Container Site are solid waste sites only; no liquid wastes shall be accepted at these locations.  

Paper, plastic bottles and clear plastic wrap, aluminum pop cans, tin cans, and cardboard may be dropped off at the Transfer Station or at the Recycling Center at 2230 Michigan Ave. See Clearwater Recycling Center tab on the left for more information. Appliances and construction/demolition material may be taken to the Transfer Station only.   

Construction/Demolition material includes: lumber, sheetrock, roofing, siding, shingles, concrete, asphalt, brick, pallets, wood posts, railroad ties, sawdust, and sod, untreated wood, carpet, carpet pads, furniture, laminate flooring.   NO stumps are accepted at the Transfer Station or at the Timberline Container Site. Everything MUST be four (4) feet or less in length.

Appliances include: washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, microwaves, refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, computer processors and monitors, water heaters, TVs.   

Motorized vehicles, equipment and machines:
All motorized machines (boats and motors,lawnmowers, etc) must have ALL FLUIDS drained prior to bringing to the Transfer Station.

Do you accept fire extinguishers? Yes. The fire extinguisher can be recycled if it cannot be refilled or you do not wish to refill it. Release any pressure in the canister. Let the canister sit for a few days to make sure the pressure has been completely released. The fire extinguisher can then be recycled as scrap metal. We do not accept fire extinguishers that were made prior to 1960.   

Do you accept printer cartridges? Yes, however, OJSHS has a recycling program for used printer cartridges. There is a drop box at the Orofino Post Office in the lobby by the double doors. This is a great way to help support the programs at our local schools and keep them out of the landfills.   

Do you accept batteries? Yes   

Do you accept paint? Paints, if useable, may be donated to the ClearMart Store. If the paint is unusable it may be accepted if allowed to dry. Some methods for drying paints are as follows:

  • Paints may be placed on wood or cardboard, allowed to dry and then turned in at the transfer station
  • Paints may also be mixed with kitty litter or dirt, allowed to dry and then turned in at the transfer station   

Anything over 10 gallons will be charged normal commercial waste fees.

Where can I take antifreeze and oil if I can’t leave it at the Transfer Station? CLEAN OIL & ANTIFREEZE may be taken to the following locations. Up to 5 gallons of oil per day per person is allowed. Acceptance is not 100% guaranteed.   

1591 Ruby Rd., Kamiah      

Antifreeze and oil


O’Reilly Auto Parts
105 Thain Rd., Lewiston



Lewiston Transfer Station 560 Downriver Road, Lewiston 208-746-0389

Antifreeze and oil

What should I do with my used needles? Used needles should be placed in a thick, plastic container (e.g., laundry detergent bottle) and taped shut with a strong tape (e.g., duct tape).  The container may then be brought to the Transfer Station for disposal.   

What should I do with my unused prescription medications? Please DO NOT flush any medications down the sink or toilet. The Sheriff’s Office has a box outside the Driver’s License office for prescription pills. The Orofino City Police also has a drop box inside the door by the Clerk's Office at City Hall.  No liquids or creams are accepted at the Sheriff’s Office, however. Creams may be disposed of in your household garbage as long as it is in a closed container. Liquid medications may be mixed with coffee grounds and disposed of in your household garbage.   

Where can I recycle glass? At this time, it is best just to deposit glass with your regular garbage or take to Lewis Clark Recyclers, 334 2nd Street, Lewiston, Idaho.  

Where can I take larger propane tanks? Larger 20 lb. propane tanks may be taken to Glenwood IGA at 1130 Michigan Avenue.  Empty propane tanks with the top knob removed or a hole shot in them will be accepted. 

Do you accept ammunition and gun powder? NO! Please contact the Clearwater County Sheriff’s Office at 208-476-4521 for information about how to dispose of ammunition and gun powder.